Wednesday, May 8, 2013

August Underground Movie Review

                                                     August Underground 

August Underground Tells a story of a killer and his camera man. They go around doing normal day things but also murder people. It basically chronicles these two friend's life in a very up close and personal way. It's even filmed like a home video which makes it all the more realistic. This movie made me extremely impressed by Fred Vogel. I think it's his best movie he has made. But it's kind of hard to explain because there is literally no plot. But thats not necessarily a bad thing.

The film is very well made. The acting is really realistic and makes it a really effective movie. The way the camera is handheld also makes it seem like a real home video. I normally don't like films that are filmed that way but this is the exception I think it worked to their advantage and made it a really strong and effective movie. The way the movie unfolds is great, there are some slow parts to kind of flesh out the movie and so you can get used to the characters. But when the movie kicks in it goes all out. This is one of the craziest movies I have seen in my life and that means allot because I've seen many crazy movies.

This is my favorite Fred Vogel movie, I've seen August Underground Mordum and was not impressed. I thought the Murder Collection was mediocre, The Redsin Tower was enjoyable and I liked Sella Turcica. But this movie blew me away. It's so really good and is an impressive first film for Fred Vogel.  I can also see why people don't like it though.

It has some offensive and disturbing scenes in it. Another thing that people might not like is that is has absolutely no plot at all. Which will definitely bother the average film buff who is interested in a good story. But I think as a whole this movie has a story. Although they have a funny way of showing it. I think that the way it is set up and filmed really works and helps the tone and the realism of the movie and some of the things they do seem really crazy for an independent feature.

I liked the characters and though Fred Vogel was a perfect killer. He had fun,but with a very dark and sadistic tone which made the movie all the more scarier. The design of his basement was disgusting and I'm still thinking of how awful it would be to clean that after filming. The other character who we never see because he is the camera man is also good at profiling this killers life.

Overall I really loved this movie. It may not appeal to all audiences though. But for those who have any interest at all in this movie should definitely check it out. I really enjoyed it and think it's a movie really worth watching. It's mainly for fans of extreme horror so if you are sensitive I would stray far away from this movie and watch some thing more light hearted. I would give this movie an 8/10 but I know this isn't something that will appeal to everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment